Some unfortunate happenings in our neighborhood last week – a large, old barn dangerously close to an historic old home, went up in flames. Don, having been a volunteer fireman in the past, said it was the largest and hottest fire he had seen in domestic structure fires! Fortunately, even though it was late afternoon, and consequently a low response from volunteers as many had not yet returned from ‘day’ jobs, those who responded were able to save the house. Those of us observing from a distance were amazed that the house survived relatively untouched, even at such proximity to the intense heat! A week later, and we are still smelling the aftermath of the smoke.
The fire investigators are saying that the fire appears to have been started by the reflection off a pool cover thrown behind the barn on the same day as the fire. It is difficult to be prepared for all of the problems that may occur. But please be careful with the obvious causes.
The number one cause of house fires today is fires started by cooking equipment. Please keep a watchful eye on all cooking, especially high temperatures with and without grease. Also keep all combustibles (oven mitts, dish towels, paper towels) away from any heat source.
Although not a big part of our business, we sell lights to volunteer firemen. We enjoy working with firemen and helping to keep these individuals safer while responding to calls. If interested, please check our website at http://www.fleet-strobe.com/ , and call us with any questions.
Thanks and be safe!